There are two ways discounts can be handled with QuickBooks Point of Sale. Either as a separate line item, or using the discount under the subtotal in the sales receipt. The advantage to having the discount as a line item is that you can track each discount separately, as each coupon code used on the store can be mapped to a different item in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
How to Set Up and Use a Discount Line Item with QuickBooks Point of Sale
This setting is cart-specific and may or may not be available in your cart.
1. In QuickBooks Point of Sale, create a new item Online Discount with the following settings:
If connected to QuickBooks Financials, you will want to set the income account to either a discount account or an advertising and promotions account
2. Save the item. Then open Webgility and login.
3. Navigate to Integrations > Get Latest Data and Settings.
4. In the pop-up window, click Download Data under the Download QuickBooks data and settings area.
Note: this may take several minutes. Once it is completed, close the window.
5. Navigate to Integrations > Stores > Settings.
6. Select Get Discounts as a line item. Then click Save & Continue.
7. Now orders will download with the discount as a line item in the transaction.
Note: The next couple of steps will have to be repeated for each different discount the first time it is used from the store.
8. Post an order with a discount to your QuickBooks Point of Sale. You will receive an item Mismatch pop-up. You will need to map the order’s discount item to the discount item you created earlier in QuickBooks.
9. Once you have, attempt to post the order to QuickBooks again.
10. This is how the discount will appear on the sales receipt in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
Using the Discount Field in QuickBooks Point of Sale
11. To use the discount field in QuickBooks Point of Sale you will need to enable it.
12. Navigate to Integrations > Accounting/POS/ERP > Posting Settings.
13. In configuration, go to the Sales Tax. Then select to Record line item discount in discount field of QuickBooks POS. Then click Save & Close.
14. This will cause future orders to download with the discount in a separate field within the order Detail.
15. When posted to QuickBooks Point of Sale, you will find the discount toward the bottom as a subtotal discount.